Thursday, October 14, 2010

NYC Startups

Here are some resources for you:
NextNY: http://nextny.org/ - An awesome group of NYC entrepreneurs and
VC's. It's an email list and job board. Great discussions go on here..
only top quality people.
New York Tech Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/ny-tech/ - Similar to
NextNY, but much, much larger. Because of its size, there's a lot of
crap discussed off topic and spam. Still a good resource, but I find
NextNY to be much more valuable. NY Tech Meetup also has a monthly
meetup where startups demo their products. About 1,000 people attend
each month.
Quora, NYC Startup List:
http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-notable-startups-in-New-York -
Quora is a Q&A site (and a startup itself). They have a great running
list of NYC-based startups at the link above. Notable names on the
list.. startups that are really hot right now: Aviary, Boxee, drop.io,
Etsy, Forrst, Foursquare, Gawker, Gilt Groupe, Huffington Post,
Meetup, OKCupid, Square, Tumblr, Vimeo.
Silicon Alley Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/sai - A blog all
about NYC-based startups.
AVC: http://www.avc.com/ - A blog written by Fred Wilson, a very well
respected NYC VC (Union Sq Ventures). Basically, if Fred touch it, it
turns to gold.
There's a TON more out there, but this should get your started.

If you can identify what is is, specifically, that you wanted to do, I
could hook you up with several recruiters. You gotta figure out first
though, if you want to do sales, product, acct mgmt, marketing, etc
first (hint: if you can swing it, sales is where the $$ is and I think
you'd be good at it).
I sent you an invite on LinkedIn too - I can make some introductions
there if you'd like.
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment