The Seven Habits are broken into two major sections, the first on personal development and the second on communications and management of others. I could not say whether it is because I am currently working on personal development more than management or whether the first half was simply better written and better constructed, but I got more out of the first 150 pages than the second, even though both offered valuable advice.
Roughly summarized, the first three habits are: pro-activity, vision and priority management. I have come to believe how very important pro-activity is over the last year, and the author strongly reinforced my thoughts. Good things come to those who work hard. But it isn't working ones fingers to the bone, it is doing the things that feel uncomfortable and finding the willingness to do what challenges us. Paraphrasing a line from the book: successful people do those things that failures refuse to do. I think this requires patience, faith and endurance as much as anything. It says there are no quick cures, and it reminds us that some times the best things are the ones that are most uncomfortable.
Who among us enjoys going to mixers, reaching out to long-lost colleagues or studying for an exam? But it is those things - and a willingness to do them - that lead to ever better places. Part of proactivity for me is my 30 hour commitment (attempting to return all calls, emails and texts within 30 hours), reaching out to former colleagues on an on-going basis (next time I am unemployed, I do not want to spend the first 3 months warming up my old contacts) and putting the work in when opportunities arise. Putting the work in can be extremely challenging as I do not particularly like self-reflection when it comes to work and my professional life. At the same time, I have noticed that it does get easier, like all things, with practice. With that in mind, I am off to prepare for an interview I have tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment